Santa Rosa County holds household hazardous waste Amnesty Day - Sat., Mar. 27 at South Service Center
Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) Amnesty Day
will be held Sat., Mar. 27
from 8 a.m. to noon
at the Santa Rosa County South Service Center
, 5841 Gulf Breeze Parkway in Gulf Breeze. This event offers residents the opportunity to dispose of HHW at no charge without having to drive to the Central Landfill in Milton.
Residents will be required to remove items from their vehicles. Remember, HHW items can cause injury if handled improperly. These items will usually have a warning or cautionary statement on their labels, such as flammable, corrosive, poison or toxic. The following items will be accepted and should never be disposed of with household garbage:
Conditionally exempt small quantity generators (small businesses, schools and growers, etc.) may dispose of hazardous waste at a reduced rate. CESQG waste is accepted by appointment only. Call (850) 981-7135 by 12 p.m. the day before the event to schedule a drop-off time.
- up to five regular car or truck tires per vehicle, no large, heavy-duty or racing tires accepted (help keep mosquitos away this summer!)
- antifreeze, gasoline, oil and oil filters
- paint and solvents
- lubricants and grease
- pesticides and fertilizers
- pool cleaners, household cleaners
- battery backups, rechargeable batteries (from vehicles, lawn mowers, laptops, cellphones, coin cells) no alkaline batteries!
- propane bottles
- aerosol cans
- flat screen monitors and flat screen TVs
- computers, laptops, tablets, cellphones
- stereos, radios, amplifiers
- printers, copiers, fax machines, typewriters
- DVD/DVR players
- remotes and gaming systems
- up to 20 fluorescent light bulbs
- fire extinguishers
- approved sharps containers - bring a full sharps container for proper disposal and receive a free replacement container
Santa Rosa residents can dispose of household hazardous waste, including sharps, Monday through Saturday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., at the HHW center at the entrance to the Central Landfill, 6337 Da Lisa Road in Milton. Regular, light duty, truck or car tires are accepted for $5 each year round.
Amnesty Day is made possible by Santa Rosa County in cooperation with the Florida Department of Environmental Protection and the Okaloosa County Environmental Office. For more information, contact (850) 981-7135.
# # #