Hello, Friends —
My staff and I are monitoring Hurricane Dorian very closely. The storm is currently projected to hit the eastern part of our state as a Category 4 Hurricane. As it nears the coast, I will provide updates with pertinent information — please visit my website / social media pages for news!
Prepare, Prepare, Prepare
If you haven’t prepared for the hurricane already, don’t wait a moment longer — the best time to prepare is right now. Stock up on essential supplies: non-perishable food, bottled water, flashlights (and batteries), and generators are all useful. Fill your car with gas in advance; if there is an evacuation, traffic is often terribly slow, and many gas stations already are sold out.
Most importantly, have a discussion with your friends and your loved ones, to make sure they are prepared, too.
- Make a plan in advance, including a list of supplies you have, supplies you need to get, and a communications plan. If you have to evacuate, where will you go?
- Learn your evacuation routes, and, if you’re getting information online, print out copies — if your power’s out and your internet is down, getting that information again will be a challenge. FLDisaster.org, which is run by the Florida Division of Emergency Management, has useful information about preparedness, evacuation routes, and more. Also check out Gulf Power’s “Storm Ready Center.”
- Make copies of important documents and back up your electronic data. Survey the exterior of your house, and make sure there is no present damage. The water and wind of a storm can greatly worsen pre-existing damage, causing major structural damage.
- Make sure all gates and doors are securely locked, to lessen the chance of the wind ripping them from their hinges.
- Unplug electronics and electric devices. If you lose power, when it comes back on, all these devices starting at once can overload your circuits and pose a fire hazard.
- Turn your air conditioning down so your house is cold. If you lose power, your house will stay cool longer if it is already cool inside.
- Turn down the temperature in your refrigerator and freezer, to keep food from spoiling for a little longer if you lose power.
If an evacuation has been ordered or recommended for your area, evacuate! Evacuation orders are never issued lightly. If the storm is less severe than expected, it’s still better be safe than sorry. Belongings are replaceable; lives are not.
For a comprehensive list of Hurricane Preparedness resources, please review the list HERE.
Federal Assistance Approved
Yesterday, the entire Florida Congressional delegation sent a letter to President Trump, asking him to approve Governor DeSantis’s emergency declaration for the state of Florida. The President quickly approved our request, putting us in the best possible position to respond quickly if disaster strikes. I’m grateful that both Governor DeSantis and President Trump have taken the hurricane threat seriously, and while I hope it will not be necessary, I know that federal aid will greatly help Florida if Dorian hits us hard.
GAETZ IN THE NEWS
|Click to Play!
Fox News — August 21, 2019
Rep. Matt Gaetz: Google’s information dominance is dangerous, especially when it comes to voters
Google puts its thumb on the scale for search results the moment someone starts typing. Prior to the 2016 election, Google’s ‘autocomplete’ function rarely filled in negative queries about Hillary Clinton (though it did with Trump).
The American Conservative — August 19, 2019
Matt Gaetz Goes to Washington
“Had any other of the major candidates won, on the Republican or Democrat side” in 2016, says Gaetz, a Florida Republican who originally backed Jeb Bush, “I believe that we’d be in two—or three—new wars: Venezuela, North Korea, and Iran. And it is the leadership of the president [Trump] that has prevailed.”
Marijuana Moment — August 26, 2019
DEA Announces It Will Finally Take Action On Marijuana Grower Applications
“Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-FL), who has repeatedly criticized DEA for delaying the application approval process, told Marijuana Moment that he’s ‘thrilled to see that after three years, the DEA is finally moving forward with applications to manufacture cannabis for research purposes.’”
Breitbart News — August 29, 2019
GOP Leaders Respond to IG Report: It is a ‘Stunning and Unprecedented Rebuke’ of James Comey
“Hey @Comey, the facts are in,” Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-FL) wrote, listing portions of the IG report.
What We’re Reading
The Hill — August 28, 2019
Trump can change history by declassifying three Obama-era documents
Northwest Florida Daily News — August 26, 2019
Florida farmers work together to change the narrative about climate change and agriculture
American Greatness — August 29, 2019
The Political Class is ‘Exhausted’