Resources every woman-owned business needsMarch 09, 2022
Join us next Tuesday (3/15) for a special event dedicated to this year’s tax season. You’ll hear from the experts on the tax programs that are expiring, the ones that are still in place and best practices for storing and collecting your data to ensure a successful tax season. RSVP here.
Resources & Tips
More and more people are looking for women-owned businesses to support in today’s inclusive business world. Increase the visibility of your brand by adding it to a directory made especially for women-led companies. Here are a few to get you started.
There are many grants available for women-owned businesses if you know where to look (and we do). Check out our grant page to peruse funding and mentorship opportunities for your woman-led company. And if you haven’t checked out our guide on getting certified as a woman-owned business, take a look at that, too. Getting certified can expand your business’s access to federal contracts and other funding opportunities.
Sometimes a dream can seem unattainable, but you will never know until you give it a shot. Entrepreneur Hilary Kearny is living proof that it is possible to turn a small-business dream into a reality. See how this beekeeper managed to turn her ideas into a blossoming education-based brand.
“Roadblocks and unforeseen circumstances occur daily for entrepreneurs, and perseverance is key.''
– Ashley Selman, co-founder of women-owned beverage brand heywell, emphasizes the importance of pushing through hardships as a small business owner.
Tai and Talaat McNeely, the couple behind His & Her Money, turned financial trouble into a successful business and a YouTube channel with over 200K subscribers. Get their expert tips on how to use video content to build your brand and grow your business!
BUSINESS BY THE NUMBERS
That’s the amount of revenue generated by the more than 12 million women-owned businesses in the U.S. Check out these resources created to aid and guide women entrepreneurs on their small business journies.
The percentage of entrepreneurs that reported working weekends, according to a Semrush survey. Get back to having days off by implementing these tips that help boost productivity.
The number of seconds you have to catch a visitor’s attention on your website, providing a small window of opportunity. Learn how to create captivating content that is sure to keep your audience engaged.
Brookfield Properties is committed to partnering with, empowering and providing resources for Black- and minority-owned businesses. Partner to Empower offers guidance, store-construction funding, a Retail Workshop led by industry experts and more. Apply now through March 18 for select properties!
DREAM BIG AWARDS
VISIT OUR DREAM BIG PAGE FOR MORE INFORMATION & CHECK BACK ON 3/21 TO APPLY!
Apply for the Dream Big Awards — an annual award program from the U.S. Chamber of Commerce that recognizes small businesses that exemplify innovation, entrepreneurship and individual initiative. Small businesses can apply for up to two Business Achievement Awards, and every business entered will be considered for the 2022 Small Business of the Year Award, a $25,000 cash prize! Learn more about award categories and eligibility requirements here.
GRANTS & AWARDS
- Applicants to Barclays’ "Small Businesses, Big Wins" promotion must submit "compelling stories of resilience" during the COVID-19 pandemic. The grand prize is $60,000, and there are a number of smaller cash prizes available as well. The deadline to submit is March 11.
- The SBA’s Boots to Business (B2B) program provides entrepreneurship training, curriculum updates and program management support services for active military members, veterans and their spouses. This funding opportunity is available to organizations that can provide trained instructors or educators to teach the B2B program outside of the continental U.S. (OCONUS), either on-site overseas or online. Other eligible parties include those that can help with developing curriculum and other contributions more specifically outlined on the grant announcement. Interested applicants have until March 28 to apply for funding.
- The Visa Everywhere Initiative is back in the new year with an opportunity for global companies to win up to $100,000. The deadline for North America is March 31. Head to the website now to read about eligibility requirements and start your application.
- The Department of Labor's HireVets Medallion Program is the only federally funded award of its kind, which awards qualifying businesses for their commitment to veteran employment with a certificate and digital images of the medallion to use on their websites. Recipients will be added to a database of 1,400 businesses that have also been recognized. To be eligible, businesses must meet specific qualifications listed on the HireVets website. Applications close on April 30.
- The Farmers Market Promotion Program (FMPP) from the USDA aims to help increase the number of direct producer-to-consumer products and marketplaces. FMPP hopes to help farmers of all kinds receive training and technical assistance, in addition to supporting their growth and expansion. Applicants must meet the requirements as specified on the program's website and submit their application by May 16.
- More grant & program information can be found here.